Contact us

If you have any questions, please use our online Chat service which will appear below during our opening times.

Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am ‐ 6pm
Saturday 9am ‐ 1pm
Open some bank holidays 10am ‐ 2pm

Claims ‐ 0330 159 1167 ‐ 24/7
Renewals ‐ 0330 159 1158
Customer service ‐ 0330 159 1157
Breakdown ‐ 0330 159 1257

Getting a quote

The quickest and easiest way to get a new quote for your motorbike insurance is via our secure website.

Yes, you could. We search our leading panel of UK motorbike insurers to bring you our best cover at our very best price.

Yes, there are a number of ways that you might be able to reduce your motorbike insurance premium, for example:

  • – Fit a motorbike alarm or immobiliser
  • – Keep your motorbike garaged at night
  • – Take an advanced riding qualification

Obviously the type of motorbike you have will affect your motorbike insurance quote, for example; a sports motorbike is likely to attract a bigger premium.

It will help to have the below information to hand:

  • ‐ Full details of the make and model of your motorbike(s)
  • ‐ The year your motorbike was manufactured and the registration number
  • ‐ The approximate value of the motorbike
  • ‐ The date you bought your motorbike
  • ‐ Details of any modifications to your motorbike
  • ‐ Details of any claims, convictions or accidents
  • ‐ Details of any additional riders
  • ‐ Details of any security devices on the motorbike(s)

We are able to offer cover for most makes and models of motorbikes. We cannot quote for trikes.

If you have an imported scooter please contact us and one of our insurance representatives will be able to discuss whether we can offer you a quote.

Yes, you can cover up to five riders on the same motorbike insurance policy.

No, you will need to contact us to obtain a multi-bike insurance quote.

Yes. We have wide range of modifications that we can cover as standard. These are listed below:

  • ‐ Disability Adapted
  • ‐ Air filter changes - max value of £50
  • ‐ Bar ends - max value of £30
  • ‐ Braided hoses - max value of £100
  • ‐ Decals / stickers (not race replica)
  • ‐ Grippers - max value of £30
  • ‐ Heated grips - max value of £75
  • ‐ Huggers - max value of £200
  • ‐ Lights /Indicators/ Mirrors - max value of £75
  • ‐ Scott oilers - max value of £200
  • ‐ Screen changes - max value £100
  • ‐ Seat replacement/ Changes - max value of £100
  • ‐ Seat cowl / Single seat units - max value of £200

If your modification is not listed as standard we may still be able to provide you with a quote by phone as some of our insurers cover more extensive modifications on a like-for-like basis. If you can't find your modification or if you have any doubts please contact us and one of our helpful representatives will be able to assist.

It is important to declare all modifications to your insurer as failure to do so could result in your policy being invalidated and your claim not being paid.

Our insurer panel use different rating systems so it isn't possible to answer this question accurately. Insurers can attribute a rating factor from anything between 1 and 50, so your bike could be a group 18 with one insurer and 46 with another.

Administration and payment

Yes, your motorbike insurance cover will start from the moment your payment is accepted. Alternatively, if immediate cover is not required you can set your cover start date for a date in the future.

Confirmation of your insurance policy will be sent to you by email or by post on request. Please note postal documents can take up to 7 days to reach you.

Your Terms of Business, Statement of Facts, Schedule and Certificate of Insurance will be available to download from the email. Our policy documents are available to download straightaway at https://www.yourmotorbikeinsurance.co.uk/rac/documents.php

We will send you a confirmation email once you have completed your online purchase and your payment has been accepted. You will then receive your insurance documents by email or via post if requested. Please note postal documents can take up to 7 days to reach you.

Yes, we certainly can. Please make this request known with an agent.

Annual payment

You can choose to pay for your insurance in full via debit or credit card.

By Direct Debit

You can choose to pay monthly by Direct Debit credit agreement through our third party premium finance provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL). Please note: under 18's will require permission to set up any Direct Debits under a parent or guardian's name.

PCL are authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to provide finance to customers in respect of insurance premiums.

Email: customer.services@pcl.co.uk
Phone: 0344 736 9836
Post: Premium Credit Limited, Ermyn House, Ermyn Way, Leatherhead, KT22 8UX

Please note: RAC Motorbike Insurance is acting as a credit broker and not a lender. We only introduce you to PCL for the arrangement of Direct Debit credit agreements. You do not pay us anything for this service. Instead, you pay interest on the amount loaned to you by PCL, known as a Transaction Fee.

Transaction Fee

You will pay a Transaction Fee for each transaction added to your PCL account. You will be told which rate applies to you before you submit your application for credit. This information will also be included in your PCL Welcome Pack.

Credit Searches

When you apply to pay by Direct Debit credit agreement, PCL will search public information that credit reference agencies hold about you and use this to assess whether they will lend to you. If they decline your application, they will let you know and inform you of the credit reference agency they used.

PCL Welcome Pack

The PCL Welcome Pack contains important information about your Direct Debit credit agreement. This includes information about PCL, the terms and costs of the potential finance product and the comparable costs of the financing so you can make an informed decision about whether to proceed. Documents included in the pack are Pre-contract Explanations and your Credit Agreement which will confirm all the details of your Direct Debit credit agreement including the Annual Percentage Rate so you can compare this with other types of lending.

Annual Percentage Rate (APR)

The APR shows all the credit-related charges that apply to your credit agreement expressed as an annual rate of charge.

Managing my Direct Debit

If you have chosen to pay for your insurance by monthly Direct Debit, you must register online with PCL and sign your credit agreement. If you do not sign your Direct Debit credit agreement online, PCL will make a £25 charge.

To register for your online account and to find out how to sign your credit agreement, visit https://digital.premiumcredit.com or Frequently Asked Questions (premiumcredit.com).

No Claims Discount (NCD)

For every year you continuously hold insurance and don't have any claims that are classed as your fault, you may get a discount on your premium. The more years claim free that you have, the more discount you may receive.

When you get a quote, you'll be asked how many years NCD you have. If you are eligible for a discount, this will be reflected in your premium.

You will need to provide proof of your NCD. We'd like to see your latest renewal invitation or cancellation letter from your last insurer, and ask that it:

  • ‐ Be in the name of the policyholder
  • ‐ Be less than two years old
  • ‐ Shows the number of years claim free
  • ‐ Has been earned in the last three years
  • ‐ Show the expiry date of the previous policy

We have insurance companies on our panel that accept a No Claims Discount that is up to three years old. To find out more, please contact us.

Normally, as long as it is from a European country, and is written in English on headed paper with a start/end date on it.

No, although some insurers may offer an enhanced introductory discount subject to criteria. For more information, please contact us.

Yes, as these are a part of your motor driving history.

Your renewal invitation will state how many years' No Claims Bonus you currently hold. Your new insurer should accept this as proof. You may need to send them the full renewal notice.


Yes, we offer Comprehensive motorbike insurance Third Party, Fire and Theft (TPFT) and Third Party Only (TPO) as well as a multibike solution. We may also be able to offer cover on your bike if it is SORN. To enquire about SORN insurance, please contact us.

Yes, we offer a wide range of Optional Extras which you can add to your insurance to tailor it to your specific needs. These include:

  • ‐ UK Breakdown
  • ‐ European Breakdown
  • ‐ Key Protection
  • ‐ Legal Expenses
  • ‐ Personal Accident
  • ‐ Helmet & Leathers
  • ‐ Replacement Vehicle
  • ‐ Excess Protect

Yes, you can contact us and ask to add optional covers at any time during the life of your policy.

Your policy may cover you to ride other motorbikes, subject to certain criteria such as your age, your occupation and the type of motorbike. You should check at the time you take out your policy and it will be shown on your insurance certificate.

Your policy will automatically allow you to ride in any countries that are part of the European Union for a period of up to one month in any one trip. It does not cover you for travel outside of the European Union.

We may be able to cover you for certain countries outside of the EU. If this is required, please contact us. There may be an additional charge for this cover.

As part of the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) it is now a legal requirement to have continuous insurance in place, unless the bike has been declared SORN (Statutory Off-Road Notification), even if your motorbike is off the road. For more information about CIE and the exceptions and penalties in place, visit www.direct.gov.uk/stayinsured.

Bike Licences

If you passed your car driving test before 1st February 2001 you can use your full UK car licence as a provisional licence to ride a 50cc moped. You will need to complete a CBT test to ride anything over 50cc.

If you passed your car driving test after 1st February 2001 you will need at least a completed CBT to ride a motorbike of up to 125cc even with L Plates.

Before anyone can learn to drive a car, moped or motorbike they must apply for a provisional licence. On completion of the relevant test they will be issued with a certificate, which is returned to the DVLA along with the licence so that it can be amended to include the required entitlements. For more information on the different types of licences, visit https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped/overview

UK driving licences are valid from the age of 16. At the age of 70 the licence will need to be renewed every 3 years.

On 19th January 2013 a change in regulation resulted in changes to the capacities and some age ranges.

Changes or cancellations

It is important that you notify us of any changes to your circumstances or if you change your motorbike, as soon as possible. Failure to do so could invalidate your insurance and result in your claim not being paid. To update your policy please contact us.

Please note. Changes to your policy will incur an administration fee of up to £40. Your premium may also be adjusted.

You have a 14 day cooling off period during which you are able to cancel your policy. If you cancel during the cooling off period you will be charged the premium for the time you have held your policy, assuming there has been no incident, plus a charge of up to £40 which covers our administration with the insurer.

If cover hasn't started you will be entitled to a full refund of the premium you have paid, less our administration charge of up to £40.

If you are cancelling outside of the cooling off period you will be charged the premium for the time you have held your policy, again assuming there is no incident, plus an administration charge of up to £40 Our charges are in addition to any charge imposed by your insurer.

Please note, any optional extras that run alongside your policy will also be cancelled.

To cancel your policy, please click here. Otherwise, please contact us before cancelling to discuss cancellation charges. For more information on cancelling your policy, please refer to our Terms of Business.

If you pay for your insurance monthly by Direct Debit and are opted into the automatic renewal process, we will automatically renew your bike insurance and any optional extras.

If you pay for your insurance in full, are opted into automatic renewals and authorised the automatic reuse of your debit/credit card, we will automatically renew your bike insurance and any optional extras.

If you have opted out of the automatic renewal process and/or have not authorised the reuse of your debit/credit card, we will not be able to automatically renew your policy and you will need to contact us to arrange cover and payment for another year.

Your renewal invitation will confirm what action is needed by you.

You can change your renewal preference at any time by visiting http://www.yourmotorbikeinsurance.co.uk/rac/renewalPreference, by contacting us on LiveChat or by telephone.

Yes. You can change your renewal preference online at http://www.yourmotorbikeinsurance.co.uk/rac/renewalPreference, by contacting us on LiveChat or by telephone.


In the event of a claim, please contact us as soon as you can. The claims department will gather all the information required to process your claim. To make a claim, please call RAC Motorbike Insurance on 0330 159 1167 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

If you need to make a claim on one of your optional extras, then call the relevant number below:

RAC Breakdown Cover 0330 159 1257
European Motoring Assistance 0330 159 0342
Bike Hire Plus 0330 159 1167
Key Protection Cover 0333 241 9574
Legal Expenses 0330 159 1167
Helmet & Leathers 01608 641 351 - Policies with a start or renewal date on or before the 30th April 2017.
0330 102 8752 - Policies with a start or renewal date on or after the 1st May 2017.
Personal Accident 01608 641 351 - Policies with a start or renewal date on or before the 30th April 2017.
0330 102 8752 - Policies with a start or renewal date on or after the 1st May 2017.
Excess Protect 01737 815 404 / 0344 770 9000 / https://claims.arclegal.co.uk

Once we have taken all the relevant information, your claim will be passed over to your insurer to process.

Yes. You should tell us about any incident so we can deal with potential claims from another party and update your policy details to reflect this.

You must report any incident that involves vehicle theft, attempted theft or malicious damage within 48 hours. You should also report any accident involving injuries or where another party does not stop. The police will give you an incident number that we will need when you make your claim.